Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Actress Marlee Matlin: "I'm tired of being typecast"

marlee matlin deaf hearing-impaired actress actor sign language interpreter hollywood cochlear implant ASL
HOLLYWOOD - Oscar winning actress and advocate for the hearing-impaired Marlee Matlin told the Celery Stalk at the 'Sound of Silence' press junket that she's "tired of being typecast" into "deaf roles."

"That's all I play - deaf characters," Matlin said through a sign language interpreter. "I can't tell you how many times my agent gets a call for another character - and they're all deaf! I can play other types of characters, you know. I have an Oscar."

When asked how her inability to speak could possibly hinder her quest for non-deaf character work, Maitlin responded: "I could play a mute - I do know sign language, you know."

Other suggestions Matlin had for casting directors were roles such as "X-ray Technician", "Telepathic Alien", and "Interpreter for the Hearing-Impaired."

"That last one is my favorite," Matlin said. "I could play an interpreter for the hearing-impaired who realizes that the people she interprets for don't actually know American Sign Language, but British Sign Language! There's an endless list of plot twists and dilemmas to make for a great made-for-TV movie or 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' episode."

No comments: